- Venue : Palais Jacques Cœur | Musée des Arts Décoratifs – Hôtel Lallemant
- Adress : 16 rue Jacques Cœur | 5 rue de l’Hôtel Lallemant, 18000 Bourges
- Dates : 24 th of november – 22nd of december 2016.
- Opening on the 24th of november at 6 PM at the Musée des Arts Décoratifs – Hôtel Lallemant then at 7.30 PM at the Palais Jacques Cœur.
Opening time :
- Palais Jacques Cœur : open everyday from 9.30 AM to 12.15PM and from 2 PM to 5.15 PM (lasts visitors admitted 45 min before closing hours)
- Musée des Arts Décoratifs – Hôtel Lallemant : open from Tuesday to Sunday from 10 AM to 12 PM and from 2 PM to 6 PM
Presented works :
- Palais Jacques Coeur : The Temptation of St Anthony (2016), If I might suggest (2016), Rock | Paper | Scissors (2015)
- Musée des Arts Décoratifs – Hôtel Lallemant : Rhyme and Reason (2015), RED book series (2016), Mythic Status (2015-2016), Encryption (2016)
The two cities which the exhibition refers to are New-York and Berkley (California), town of birth and town of actual residency of the artist. The transdisciplinary work of John Sanborn creates a bridge between these two completely diametrically opposite town, that embody periods and different orientations but constitutive of his history. It is precisely autobiography and personal mythology that this exhibition made of recent installations talks about. They mark the coming back of John Sanborn as a solo artist. We can note that the specificity of Encryption, restitution of a workshop that took place beginning of november at L’Ecole Nationale Supérieure d’Arts de Bourges which questions the links and distribution of roles between the artist and the model.
John Sanborn’s bio
Revealed by Nam June Paik, John Sanborn is a multimedia/video artist and a director. He is a historical figure of the second wave of video art in America with Bill Viola, Dara Birnbaum and Gary Hill. His artwork includes single channels and installations present in many collections of international institutions and broadcasted on television across the world. He lives and works in Berkeley, California.
Stephen Sarrazin’s bio
Stephen Sarrazin is a teacher/critic/curator of cinema and media art. He teaches at Paris 8 and takes part in many international universities. He wrote publications about cinema and media art, collaborated with art and cinema reviews such as Parachute, Flash Art, Art Press, les Cahiers du Cinéma, and was the editor-in-chief for the review Mondes du Cinéma. He lives and works in Tokyo and Paris.
Booklet price : 15 €. You can pay in cash or with a check if you have a proof of ID.
This event is in partnership with the City of Bourges., The Museum of the City of Bourges, the Palais Jacques Cœur and l’Ecole Nationale Supérieure d’Art of Bourges.
Trailer of The Temptation of St. Anthony that will be showed during the exhibition.
- Palais Jacques Cœur : 02 48 24 79 42
- Musée des Arts Décoratifs – Hôtel Lallemant : 02 48 70 23 57